Saturday, June 20, 2009

MEETING OLE FRIENDS

Late this afternoon I went with my husband,Nick, to his fishing tournament celebration party that was at one of the Fire Houses,which was nice enough to accomadate all of us. They had to quickly set up at another location as the weather here did not cooperate at all.We had rain all day long!(the Party was weather permitting to have been in a local park owned by the town which has swings and all kind of stuff for the kids,picnic tables and is on the water). Anyway all went very well,I will tell you that the women and young girls(all related to the fisherman who fished in this tournament today in the rain) did a magnificent job of making the best barbecue set up that I have been to in years. They did not miss a thing and the fire house even had lots of games and toys available Or brought by the parents in a seperate room to keep the children very busy!
Everything was homemade salads,etc and the desserts were the best,nothing beats homemade chocolate and oatmeal raisin cookies and a two flavored blondie/choc type brownie and more. The hamburgers were donated by one the most expensive meat markets in town,so they were out of this world! However the very BEST part of the afternoon and into the early evening for ME was seeing ole friends that I grew up with in my early 20's!!!! Many of them I had not run into over the years,yet as we chatted we felt like we just were together yesterday.It sure felt wonderful to not only see them,but to have the time to sit and visit awhile. The atmosphere was so comfortable that you felt as if we were teens again..yet we realized that our journeys thru life has included many ups and downs..but were are the fortunate ones to be here still and able to have this special time together! I was surprised that so many of them,both male and females remembered me right away..but then I recognized them right away also! I now realize that you never really change completely on the outside..your eyes remain the same, your smile is the same, the inflection in your voice is the same,your laughter sounds the same as it always did. We may change the color of our hair,our weight may change, we may now wear glasses etc..but on the INSIDE our HEART has never changed..WE ARE THE SAME PERSON that we were when we were friends way back then. Life is amazing! So I really the day if you can't tell by now and my ole friends. Some say they will call and that since we all live so nearby each other that we should plan to get together..we will see if that ever comes to be...but rather it does or not..I enjoyed my special time today..Also it was great to see my husband 's face when the boat that he and his friend(only the two of them) came in second place in the tournament! So I know that he had a really great day also,even fishing in the rain!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had such a wonderful day. We all need days like that! It is always good to see people from our younger days. A boy from my grammer school knew me when I was checking out of a store. He said I looked the same and even remembered alot of things about my life, which I was shocked at hearing. However, I did not even remember his name and felt bad about that! May you have alot more great days ahead!

    ReplyDelete